Thursday, February 7, 2013

Meeting the Surgeon & Pre-OP

Today was a very productive day for us at UCI! We went down to meet the Surgeon to talk about getting the implant. We had been squeezed in by the Audiologist so were prepared for a couple hour wait. I almost finished a homework assignment when we got pulled back, a mere 15 minutes after our appointment time! Someone took my vitals and put us in a room. Soon after the Surgeon's Resident came in. She asked a bunch of questions, as well as went over all things CI surgery. What he will do, risks, discharge, activation, etc. She then took a look in my ears and got the nasty surprise of my jacked up eardrums 4 weeks after repair. I got to watch on a TV screen, much clearer than using a hand mirror and otoscope :P It was pretty gross, so she suctioned a lot of the blood clots out. Then she decided to leave it for the Surgeon. He came in a bit later and left once he realized the Resident had taken my CT and MRI CD's to upload them. He went to look at those and came back. He said they looked great; nothing to contraindicate an implant. He went over some things about surgery and post-OP, and asked if I had decided which implant I wanted. I have decided on the Advanced Bionics implant for many reasons (which I still need to post about!). He took a look in my ears and got more blood clots out. Then he decided we would do all of my pre-op stuff that day to avoid more trips (we live 3hrs away). The pre-op nurse came in and went over the pre-surgery and surgery-day stuff. She tried to get the Audiologist in so we could choose processors, colors, cable lengths, etc, but she had just started a hearing test so we will be doing that by email. She sent us over to Radiology to get a chest x-ray done. I have asthma and the Surgeon wanted to ensure my lungs were clear before surgery. I had to put my pigtails in a ponytail on the top of my head for the x-ray, and most definitely looked like Alex-Lou-Hoo! The x-ray techs got a kick out of it! They were very interested to hear about the CI and how I would hear with it. Then we went to the Lab for, well, labs, haha. My lab tech loved my Piglet (who has accompanied me to both of my appt's)! Even said Bye to him when we left (so my Mom says ha)! Then it was time to get back on the road! Traffic, traffic, more traffic, and a stop at In-n-Out later, we made it home safe and sound, feeling very blessed :) Right now were waiting for insurance approval, and then we will schedule the Big Day! Were shooting for March 20 (he only does surgery on Wednesdays). Spring Break is that following week, so I will get the required week of down-time, plus a few days, and only miss 2 days of school. Activation will follow 6 weeks later! I will be activated in time for my brother and sister's visit, as well as my Uncle's retirement party in DC! Super stoked!!

No comments:

Post a Comment