Thursday, March 7, 2013

Post-OP Appointment

Today was my post-OP appointment! I kind of messed up by sleeping on my right side last night. I woke up with the implant site pretty sore. It hurt to touch the implant, whereas before I could touch it all I wanted. By the time we got to Irvine the area around the bottom of the implant was a little swollen and puffy. The Surgeon was 99% sure it was not infected, but would rather be 100% sure, so he prescribed a round of a different, stronger antibiotic. It won't hurt me if I don't have an infection, and could prevent a hospital stay if it is infected. I was also instructed to stop applying Neosporin to the incision, as it was healing but was a bit red and rashy. I'm technically allergic to Neosporin, and am supposed to use Bactracin or Polysporin, but it's not an issue when used short-term for cuts and such. I hadn't thought about it so many years since I've had no reason to use it long-term all this time, and forgot about it. So that was my bad, too! And here I thought I was recovering wonderfully, lol! I am, actually, in all aspects but these two. So, one more week of antibiotics and I'll hopefully be in the clear. I'm still set for activation on March 20! We talked to the Surgeon about going bilateral, and he explained that when is up to the CI Audiologist. She will decide when I'm ready based on my progress with this implant. He said they generally do the bilateral surgery between 6-12 months after the first. So a likely goal would be Christmas break. Since I'll already have one (working) implant, I probably won't take time off from school to get the surgery. It won't be as urgent next time. As of now, I won't see the Surgeon again until Pre-OP for the bilateral surgery, unless I have continued issues with the implant site. All my appointments from here on out will be with the CI Audiologist. CAN'T WAIT to be activated!!! I asked my Surgeon if I got to take my processor box home today. It's a giant box filled with all kinds of goodies! Every CI Center is different; some let you take it home beforehand, others make you wait until activation. My Surgeon had me pegged, though, and said they prefer not to because they don't want patients putting on their processors while recovering :P My Mom was like "He knows you!!" The processor wouldn't work straight out of the box, but apparently people play with the different ways to wear it, putting the magnet off and on, etc. I so would do all of that, lol! So, no box for me yet! Guess I'll have to wait like most! Until next time! ~Alex
Incision Day 8

We were shocked to see the GREEN mountains just after leaving home!!

Chillin' wit my cool socks

Cool yet creepy fog at the bottom of the Grapevine

Looks like were entering some creepy movie

No comments:

Post a Comment